Tuesday 26 July 2016

Oh, sister 40. (Memoirs of Nerys Jones viii)


Never would I have thought that I’d fancy Siobhan
And the confusion made me wonder what was goin’ on
At first I thought that it might have been a phase
Emotionally I was in a daze
For if I’d ever been approached by one of my own gender
And the chance of me surrenderin’ would have been greatly slender
But the pull was so strong that I couldn’t ignore
That’s why I found myself knockin’ on her door
We had a relentless desire for intimacy
Every mornin’ we’d locked the front door at three
And indulge in our passion fervently
Knowin’ that somehow we were meant to be
That was until the rude interruption from Sally McGhee
Who arrived one mornin’ unexpectedly
Catchin’ Siobhan and me in the act
And havin’ never been one for showin’ tact
Said, “Ooh, I seem to be interruptin’. Siobhan, I take it that it’s you who’s corruptin’. I’ll go away, but when you are done, I have somethin’ to relay.”   
We found her in the sittin’ room with gin in hand
“That little bitch,” she seethed. “She had it all planned.”
“Who?” I asked. “Has somethin’ happened with you and Hugh?”
“Aye,” she replied. “Ye could say that Nancy has taken his fancy.”
“I don’t understand what’s goin’ on,” said Siobhan.
“Oh, I do and believe you me,” said Sally. “She’s managed successfully to fool us three. Robert might be a selfish get, and that same reason led to his affair with Yvette. But thievin’? Maybe that’s what she wanted us believin’.”
“I’m not comin’ to her defence,” I said. “But what you are sayin’ doesn’t make sense.” 
“Robert is her true affection,” Sally explained. “His relationship with Yvette was the ultimate rejection.”
“But how do you know this true?” I asked. “And why would Hugh want her rather than you?”
“Well, you’ve seen his true colours,” she replied. “The man is incapable of havin’ any regard for others. Nancy convinced him to throw me out, and referred to Robert as a thievin’ lout. But she took the money, I have no doubt. It was the look on her face when I mentioned Robert’s name. I’m tellin’ ye now, she’s to blame.”
“Let’s say she’s to blame,” I said. “What’s her game?”
“Probably to get revenge on he who spurns,” Siobhan reacted. “Bitter is the rejected heart that burns.”
“She’s already witnessed Hugh’s humiliation of Yvette,” said Sally. “But now that she’s become Montgomery’s new pet, she’ll want to see it exacerbated. With Robert helpless and utterly deflated, her hope for his love will be inflated.”
“I think the three of us and Robert should meet,” I suggested. “At least let him know about her deceit.”
“After what they did to me?” Siobhan cried. “They deserve all they get for the duplicity.”
“I’m so sorry, Siobhan,” I said. “You are right. They are the ones that should be contrite.”
“I say that we wait and see what transpires,” Sally said. “It shouldn’t be too long before Montgomery tires.”
“Well, she better not show her face at our door,” I said. “I’ll most certainly thump that thievin’ little whore.”
So, Sally was back
And the next day we heard of another Ripper attack
He certainly was brazen, this man called Jack
Even though Whitechapel wasn’t near
Once again we felt the fear
As the murders were happening in the very same town
I certainly missed Robert Brown 

No comments:

Post a Comment