Thursday 28 May 2015

Hare piece by Grant Harbison




“You are late!” screamed the rabbit. “This is becoming a habit!”

“It’s not my fault!” cried the hare. “I had a flat tyre and I needed a spare!”

“Another likely tale. Your feeble excuses are becoming quite stale.”

“I swear it’s the truth. I tell you no lies,” said the hare with a look of surprise.

“I know that look and you’re scratching an itch. Even your nose is starting to twitch.”

“Okay, I stopped for a drink at The Palace Bar. I got a bit parched after sorting the car.”

“What were you doing in a place like that? Don’t tell me you were lured by the scoundrel with the hat.”

“I don’t know what you don’t like about Maddy Hatter. The old guy’s alright. It’s just his patter.”

“What about the queens and the tarts at The Palace? Oh, and that despicable girl, the one they call Alice.”

“Alice? Is she the one who pops pills and puffs on a chalice?”

“You know who I mean, you sneaky little hare. Do I detect a look of guilt? Are you having an affair?”

“Of course not, honey. You’re my sweet little bunny. I swear that I would never dare.”

“Keep that in mind, for if that I do find, I’ll sever your pole and send you to another hole.”

So happily they lived until the lies unfolded

It’s too gruesome to relate, but he was more than scolded

He’s now found himself another hole

Just down the road with a buck toothed mole

No comments:

Post a Comment